Monday, September 27, 2010

"After the minotaur," or "a poem about birds"

Once, I was an elaborate bird, the sort that riles,
And I listened to a goose laughing at a joke,
Made by another goose, about migration patterns.
Now geese, as we ornithologists know, have hardly any feet at all
And are silly, and know nothing about myths:
So I was picking among bits of people
And orange blossom carpets and I found!
I found!
I found a string!
The princess’ string,
All rot-bare and brown,
And I tongued to its zenith, as I always have, and found the ankle
Of a wrong-bred child, three-times-tied and hiding dead
In the dusty labyrinth heart.
Birds, as everyone knows, have the language
Of fibrous things, and so we spoke,
And the string was a philosopher:
“As the most important twine
Legend ever thought to whelp,
Should I still live after I saved them whom I saved?”
And then it died, as strings will,
And I looped it – one, two, three – around my roof as it once looped
The ankle of the beast – so is my house:
A basket of myths, a million desiccated, string-girded ankles.
Now floors, as all mothers know, are made of stems
And I made mine.
I turned in the hollow and was
A pregnant dog, a gossip, I pressed
My paws to my face. Then, of course,
I flicked my tail feathers in a blue-black iris dance
And I talked about leks, because I am a bird,
And sex is pressing.
But my husband came home,
And he opened his mouth
And another birds’ feathers flew out,
All glittering and brown-striped and cool,
And I stomped my scaly little feet and I barked,
I wailed:
“Now I see it in your patterns,
You’re only a blank-eyed ceiling.
If only, if only polyandry!”
And so my heart was broken.
But love, as all dogs know, is never without knots
And marks, and wood-bore’s houses:
And so I kicked at him and was vicious and
I couldn’t see
Because I cried little salty bird-tears.
He was awfully frightened, he closed his eyes,
This, as philanderers know, halfway-works about half of the time,
And so he ran off and seized hold of other, tamer birds.
And with that
I became everything I said I wasn’t:
I am a dog crumpled like a dirty sheet on a porch.
I am a child who wins by stealth.
I am on fire and I am red and I am happy.
And as we all know,
When I die – and all myths do – 
They’ll put me in a box,
Under some potted plants,
On the back balcony.
And someday they’ll remember!
Someday they’ll draw me out
By a string looped thrice
Around my desiccated ankle.


I had this conversation last night with a friend of mine and now I'm ashamed. I'm love-blind to the processes of my formation; I haven't ever thought that the things people say are good for me might be slow-stifling me. I am nervous or terrified or anxious or all three: who am I without the chemical drip that makes my head walk a straight line? will I be someone like everyone else whom I don't even have the passion to hate because they seem so small? And I say I'm not afraid of threats to self - what about the rest of me? There's another girl-woman in my brain I've yet to meet, because the last time I was her I was so small. And maybe I'm afraid that I'll have to start over, from the beginning; maybe I'm afraid that anything anyone's ever felt towards me will dry up and blow away because I've been lying about everything, somehow. Maybe I'm afraid to be less a machine; I know I'm afraid to be less in control. 

No comments:

Post a Comment